For those unfamiliar with my “Mogs,” push play on the video player then read blog…pretty easy see.
Made from two bundt cakes, this jack-o’-lantern will light up any party. Because of its delicious homemade pumpkin flavor, this cake is sure to be carved up in a hurry. If you’re pressed for time, substitute three boxes of spice-cake mix for the ingredients we’ve listed here. Serves 24.
* 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 4 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 1 tsp. ground ginger
* 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
* 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
* 4 tsp. baking powder
* 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
* 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
* 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
* 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 1/4 cups sugar
* 6 large eggs, at room temperature
* 2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
* Approximately 9 cups powdered sugar
1. Pumpkin Cake O’ Lantern – Step 1 Heat the oven to 350º and butter two 10-inch bundt cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the milk, pumpkin, and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. In another large bowl, beat the butter or margarine and oil together with an electric mixer until combined. Next, beat in the sugar. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Alternately beat in the milk/pumpkin mixture and the flour mixture until just combined.
5. Divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
6. Cool the cakes in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn them out onto wire racks to cool completely.
7. Directions for Frosting:
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract. Then beat in the powdered sugar gradually until the frosting is a spreadable consistency. Color about 1 cup of the frosting green and the rest orange.
8. Assemble the Cake:
Trim the bottoms of the cakes so they lie flat against each other. Frost the flat surface of the bottom cake and place the other cake on top. Frost the entire cake orange. When the frosting dries, add green frosting leaves and top with the ice cream cone to create a stem.
9. Decorate the Cake:
Sprinkle sugar over your work surface and use a rolling pin to flatten 12 large yellow and white gumdrops together into a pancake about 1/4 inch thick. Adults only: use a knife to cut out the eyes, nose and mouth. Microwave 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips for about 60 seconds. Dip the left side and bottom of the facial features in the melted chocolate. Dab a small amount of water onto the top surface of each feature, sprinkle the edible glitter on top, then press the facial features onto the cake.
more holiday recipes from source